Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Where in the World Will I Find Whale Sharks?

Most often times I focus my blog on a particular destination - some place I am researching before I go there to experience it for myself. This time I thought I would do something a little different. I've decided to focus my attention on a sea creature I have only had the pleasure of experiencing once on my dive travels, but hope to have the pleasure of meeting again many times. I am speaking of one of the gentle giants of our oceans - the whale shark.

Just a couple of summers back, I had the pleasure of cruising the Sea of Cortez and its midriff islands aboard the Rocio del Mar. Our final stop before returning to our home port was Bahia de Los Angeles. Our goal, to snorkel with the whale sharks that resided in this bay at this particular time of year. Needless to say, we weren't disappointed.

Spotting these docile creatures was not an easy feat at first. We trolled the bay slowly in our wooden panga, keeping our eyes peeled for that tell-tale dorsal fin. The surface of the bay was like glass that morning except for the wake created by our outboard motor. It seemed like an eternity passed before something other than our motor disturbed  the serenity of the water. Finally Mayo, our divemaster, had spotted the fin of a "small" whale shark. This young whale shark appeared to be maybe 15 feet in length judging in comparison to our boat. As we had been instructed, we did our best to slip silently into the water and keep our fin slapping to a minimum as we snorkeled as fast as we could to catch up to it. It really hadn't dawned on me before this moment just how fast these guys could swim. Being that large, it didn't take all that much to swish their tail and power away. Unfortunately, my first encounter didn't last long. Being so young, this particular whale shark was very shy and disappeared into the dark depths of the bay before I could really get a good look at him.

Thank goodness, though, it wasn't long before we spotted a more mature whale shark, maybe 20 feet long, who was more patient with us and did not seemed deterred with us snorkeling next to him (or her, I never did figure out which). I was in awe. It was so beautiful with its unusually small eyes juxtaposed on that large gray body speckled with bright white spots and a pale underside. And thank goodness this one was not out to break any water speed records. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, swimming next to this docile being, doing my best to capture the moment on video. I came to another realization that day during my encounters with this and another whale shark later. I am insignificantly small next to them and when they change direction, you better be prepared. I was politely pushed out of the way by a pectoral fin when I didn't anticipate the new path to feeding. Those fins are a lot more solid than I expected, however I was more worried about hurting it than of it hurting me. 

Snorkeling with the whale sharks was an unforgettable experience. One of my favorites. Please enjoy my video from this adventure on the Sea of Cortez. I saved the best for last. You will find our whale shark snorkel toward the end of the video. It's worth the wait.



So where and when can you experience the beauty of snorkeling with a whale shark for yourself? Here are some of the top destinations and best times of the year to do just that.


CENTRAL & LATIN AMERICA

Caribbean

Isla Holbox, Mexico (northern side of the Yucatan Peninsula)

  When to go: Mid-July through August

Isla Mujeres, Mexico (eastern side of the Yucatan Peninsula)

  When to go: May through September
  * Annual Whale Shark Festival takes place in mid-June

Gladden Spit, Belize (near Placencia)/Silk Cayes Marine Reserve

  When to go: April and May
  * Plan your visit within 3 days of the full moon as this is when the whale sharks are      attracted by the spawning of the cubera snappers

Utila, Honduras

  When to go: Year-Round, with greatest chance for sightings in February through       April, as well as September and October


Sea of Cortez

Bahia de La Paz, Baja (North-Central Coast), Mexico

  When to go: October through February

Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja (Southeastern Coast), Mexico

  When to go: August through October


Pacific

Puerto Ayora, Ecuador

  When to go: May through October, with the best month being July


Asia

Richelieu Rock, Thailand

  When to go: February through May

Donsol Bay, Luzon, Philippines

  When to go: November to June, the greatest chance for sightings February to April

Honda Bay (Puerto Princesa), Palawan, Philippines

  When to go: April through November

Oslob, Cebu, Philippines

  When to go: Year-round, but best weather conditions are March through May


Indian Ocean

Ningaloo Reef, Australia

  When to go: April through July

Ari & Baa Atolls, Maldives

  When to go: (Western side) May through December
                    (Eastern side) December through April

Mahe, Seychelles

  When to go: August through October


Africa

Cabo San Sebastian & Tofo, Mozambique

  When to go: November through February


Like what you've read? Want to learn more about taking your own scuba diving vacation, or traveling with Delightful Departures with Scuba Travel Ventures on an upcoming adventure? Become part of the Delightful Departures community. Sign up today for our biweekly newsletter and you'll receive our FREE "Know Before You Go" guide just for joining.









No comments:

Post a Comment